To improve student learning, Veritas Academy will not exceed 15 students per class. Research has shown that reducing class size, particularly in the early grades, is one of the few educational strategies shown to increase learning and narrow any achievement gap.
Evidence-based benefits of a small class size:
- Class size reduction is one of only four, evidence-based reforms that have been proven to increase student achievement through rigorous, randomized experiments (The Institute of Education Sciences).
- Students who are assigned to smaller classes in early grades do better in every way that can be measured: they score higher on tests, receive better grades, and exhibit improved attendance (Leoni Haimson, Class Size Matters).
- In 4th, 6th, and 8th grade, students who attended smaller classes in the early grades were significantly ahead of their regular-class peers in all subjects. By 8th grade, they were still almost a full year ahead of their peers (Leoni Haimson, Class Size Matters).
- In high school, students who are in smaller classes have significantly lower dropout rates, higher grades, and receive better results on their college entrance exams (Leoni Haimson, Class Size Matters).
- Teachers with fewer students tend to know the students better and focus their teaching to students’ needs.
- At Veritas Academy, students who come from larger class sizes report that they develop more meaningful friendships after about a year of being part of a small class.
A true classical, liberal, civic education recognizes with Lincoln that if we know where we are, by knowing where we have been, we shall then know “whither we are tending.” (A Classical Education for Modern Times, Terrence O. Moore)
ACCS Schools consistently achieve higher than public, religious and other independent schools. On average, students who receive a classical Christian education achieve 186 points above the median score on SAT tests. They also demonstrate a higher confidence and knowledge when speaking on critical issues.
Furthermore, their reading, writing and math scores are significantly higher than the national average. Several nonpublic and parochial schools in Minnesota are now choosing to change to a classical curriculum.
Small Class Sizes
The Veritas Academy small class sizes translate to fewer interruptions, more time for instruction and the opportunity for teachers to get to know each student as an individual. Learn more.
Showing students we care about them helps us create a supportive environment where learning can flourish. Students learn very quickly that their teachers care about them. Learn more.
Our biblical values are foundational and are instrumental in training students to be good, loving and disciplined students with emphasis on growing in the knowledge of the Lord. Learn more.
Veritas Academy serves students who are not being served by a typical public or private school curriculum due to the fact that the curriculum is too low-level or too slow-paced. Learn more.